Amy Winehouse Died of Alcohol Poisoning

An LA Times article reveals singer Amy Winehouse died of alcohol poisoning, despite allegations that the singer had died from a drug overdose. Though many overlook alcohol poisoning as a major threat to health, alcohol can be lethal in high doses.

According to the article, “the coroner’s report found that Winehouse had consumed 416 milligrams per deciliter of blood. That’s above the potentially lethal dose of 400 mg per deciliter (or a blood-alcohol level of 0.4, five times the legal drunk-driving limit in the U.S.), according to the Mayo Medical Laboratories.”

Alcohol poisoning can be caused by binge drinking, drinking on an empty stomach,  or low alcohol tolerance. Other risk factors can be seen here. In some non-fatal alcohol poisoning cases, people suffer from irreversible brain damage.  If you think a friend has alcohol poisoning, make sure to take him/her to the hospital right away. Symptoms include vomiting, unconsciousness, seizures, and slow breathing. Also, if you think a friend has a drinking problem, make sure to get them help. Alcohol poisoning is highly preventable, so don’t let it happen to you or a loved one.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s