Feel like your 9-5 is a scene out of Horrible Bosses? Before considering “OTBD: Operation Take Boss Down,” try out these tips to improve your supervisor relationship and reduce your stress.
- Show respect. Obviously.
- Don’t be afraid of your boss. As intimidating as your boss may be, you both want to succeed. You’re on the same team so you might as well work together.
- Break important news fast. Whether you got a doctor’s appointment or a cousin’s wedding back at home, inform your boss asap. It won’t help your relationship with your supervisor if you’re peacing out three hours early to get your teeth cleaned.
- Be positive. As Thumper once said, “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.” Work is not high school (or college) so stay clear of office gossip.
- Embrace your strengths. Your boss chose you! Find tasks that take advantage of your talents.
- Face your shortcomings. There’s always room to grow. Ask your supervisor for advice and take advantage of training courses to improve your skills.
- Do your best. Enough said.
Sometimes the situation is just out of your control and you’re doing the best you can to make a positive out of a negative. A few months ago, a friend shared with me her de-stress technique for work. To deal with their horrible boss, my friend and her co-workers do breathing exercises right at their desk. Download Silva Relax for your iPhone (it’s free!). Breathe in, breathe out, work it out.
By ALYSSA LLAMAS